April 19, 2017

Kick Ass Girls of YA Blog Hop + Empowering Women - Gal Gadot aka Wonder Woman



Kick Ass Girls of YA Blog Hop

Hosted by Libby Heily. Visit other participants HERE.

The kick ass girl I want to highlight is Gabi Hernandez from Gabi- a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero. 

I fell in love with Gabi while I read this book. She's so refreshing because she's not cookie-cutter perfect. Gabi is sixteen years old and facing many of the things that real kids face nowadays. Her best friend Cindy is pregnant, and her other best friend Sebastian is coming out. Her father is a meth addict, and her mother is strict. 

She is Mexican-American but feels as though she's not Mexican enough for her family and not white enough for Berkeley. What we're reading is her diary. She talks about race, ethnicity, gender, weight issues, bullying, rape, and sexuality in a real, though-provoking way. She also finds passion in poetry. My favorite parts of this book was reading Gabi's poems.





****

EMPOWERING WOMEN

Every month I am highlighting an empowering woman. This month it is:


Gal Gadot


Gal Gadot played Wonder Woman in Batman Vs. Superman. Everyone loved her performance and said she was the best part of the whole movie. So, it’s no surprise that they decided to do a Wonder Woman movie (set to release June 2nd). Before she became an actress and had her break out role in the Fast and the Furious franchise as Gisele Yashar, she had a far more fascinating life.


Gal Gadot is Jewish and was born in Israel. When she was 18, she won the 2004 Miss Israel Competition and competed in the Miss Universe Pageant. Two years later, she served two years as a solider of the Israel Defense Forces.
“You give two or three years, and it’s not about you. You give your freedom away for a while. You learn discipline and respect. The things I’ve been through as a soldier prepared me to deal with career things as well.”
Following her time in the army, Gal studied law.

If you’re still doubting that she’s a bad ass, how about this: She’s a motorcycle rider and did most of her stunts in the Fast and the Furious movies. On top of that, she’s a mom and the second-highest paid actress in Israel.

The fact that she’s the first non-American to portray Wonder Woman makes me love Wonder Woman that much more.
“It is so important for girls and boys to have a female, strong superhero to look up to.”

 Inspiring Song


This song is about bullying by Elise Estrada. Listen to it! The song and video are dedicated to Amanda Todd who committed suicide when she was 15.



QUESTIONS: Who is your favorite Kick Ass Girl of YA? Do you like Wonder Woman? Did you watch the Fast and the Furious movies?



46 comments:

  1. I bet it did teach her discipline. Impressive.
    She is perfect as Wonder Woman and was great in the Furious movies. Sad when she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mad when her character died in Fast and the Furious!

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy the Fast and Furious franchise. Good for an escape occasionally. Very sad when she died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite kick-ass girl is my mom :) I've learned everything I know from her. She is an amazing woman. Great post, Chrys. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, didn't know all that about her or that was her in the Fast and Furious movies. Liked her as Wonder Woman, felt she incorporated her spirit. My husband, not so much because she didn't have "the" Wonder Woman curves.
    Now that there's a WW movie, I'd love to get a decent, no kick add Supergirl movie. And a movie for Vixen from Justice League and Storm from X-men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men. LOL I liked that her curves were more like mine. :) I'd love to see those movies!

      Delete
  5. I am not aquinted with either Wonder Women or Fast and Furious, but did enjoy reading about them here.
    Wonderful post and yes, I learned something new today here.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just added Gabi to my TBR. :) I'm not a huge wonder woman fan but I might have just become a Gadot fan. Thanks for participating Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool lady. I haven't seen F & F movies but this new Wonder Woman sounds amazing. Who wrote and performed the song in the video? That was well done. I had tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song was performed by Elise Estrada. I think (but not positive) she wrote the lyrics, too.

      Delete
  8. She made a great wonder woman indeed and was perfect for the fast movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to watch Wonder Woman all the time. I have not seen Fast & Furious, but it looks interesting. Great post, Chrys.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gabi sounds like a wonder woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gal could've done anything she wanted to. I think Russia requires its young people to serve two years in the military, too. I think it would be a great idea to do that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would've liked that as a young person. I would've cried at the thought of having to serve two years in the military. Luckily, for me, my spine surgery and rod would've most likely exempted me from that. That's the first time I would've been happy about my spine surgery....

      Delete
  12. Now that's a history. Yikes. Do you feel like a prissy, spoiled American yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Because I've been through a lot that doesn't make me prissy or spoiled.

      Delete
  13. Gal Gadot is awesome and I can't wait to see her with her own franchise Wonder Woman movie. I'm hoping it will be better than the previous DC films. (Not a fan of the previous two) I hope she can revive Wonder Woman for a new generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'll be a marvelous Wonder Woman. :)

      Delete
  14. Gabi sounds like a fantastic character. I like that she's Mexican-American and I think girls can deal with a lot of her issues about her race and the situations some of her friends are in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's actually Israeli, not Mexican.

      I actually looked it up just now she she's: one-fourth Polish, one-fourth Austrian, one-fourth Czech, and one-fourth German. She's a wonderful mix. :)

      Delete
  15. I did not know this about her and she is one kick ass gal. I loved her as Wonder Woman even though the Batman vs Superman film was..meh....she was anything but. I have not seen the Fast and the furious flicks and don't think I will but I will see Wonder Woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same reaction for Batman Vs. Superman. It only got good when they were working together with Wonder Woman.

      Delete
  16. She is amazing and she's not just a pretty face. She's a total package. I saw her cute and short interview. She's funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to read this book about Gabi. Happy belated Birthday and congratulations on the book.
    quandary #Lexicon of Leaving

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't even know that they remade Wonder Woman. That's how out of touch I am with things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't help but admire such a strong woman. No doubt the Wonder Woman movie will be a must see. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gabi - what a cool character. I can definitely appreciate her struggle. As two lightly tanned white guys, who don't speak a word of Spanish, who are also Mexican, we know how hard it is fit in with each 'side' when you're not quite aligned properly with one or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabi is a character who makes everyone feel normal. :)

      Delete
  21. Wow!! I am so impressed! She truly does sound like a wonder woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonder Woman was on the first cover of Ms. magazine (before it went the route of watered-down Third Wave feminism and away from its Second Wave roots), and I think also on the cover of their 10th anniversary issue in 1982. My mother got that 10th anniversary special for me, and it was in my bottom drawer for years. I hope it's still around somewhere.

    Gabi sounds like a really awesome person. Serving in the IDF does wonders for making young people become mature and responsible at an age when many people in other countries are having fun playing at college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be neat if you still have that issue.

      Delete
  23. She does sound kick ass. I've read two posts about her today.

    The Amanda Todd story is so sad. That happened up here in Canada, but in a different province. I'll never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amanda Todd story is sad. Kids and teens committing suicide for being bullies is just awful.

      Delete